Heads of Department of Mathematical Sciences
HoDoMS Privacy Notice
Who We Are
The Heads of Departments of Mathematical Sciences (HoDoMS) is a Company Limited by Guarantee. The activities of HoDoMS are organised and managed by the Committee of Officers and elected members.
HoDoMS is committed to advancing educational opportunities, research and scholarship in the Mathematical Sciences, and to ensuring the academic well-being of the disciplines of Mathematics, Statistics and Operational Research, as they are taught and developed within Higher Education Institutions. To further these aims HoDoMS:
HoDoMS is committed to ensuring that the personal data we process is handled in accordance with data protection legislation.
- acts as a forum in Higher Education where matters affecting teaching, learning, and the pursuit of research and scholarship within Departments of Mathematical Sciences can be aired, and where the considered views of Heads on such matters can be expressed;
- works with learned societies, regional groupings and professional bodies to make these views known to government, funding agencies, and other bodies having a bearing on developments in the Mathematical Sciences;
- works closely with those representing the interests of schools, Further Education, employers and professions to ensure that the overall provision of learning opportunities on offer within Higher Education Institutions, in the Mathematical Sciences area, is in tune with the wider needs of society and the specific needs of the underpinning disciplines;
- promotes quality and good practice within the teaching and learning, research and scholarship of Mathematical Sciences;
- provides operational and/or strategic advice and support to Heads as necessary.
What information we collect from you
The personal information we collect may include your title, first name, surname, gender and workplace details (Department/School/Faculty and University/Organisation) and work contact details (telephone number, email address, mailing address). For our events, we also collect access and dietary requirements. We receive this data from you when you contact us or register to attend our events.
Payment and bank details
Why we collect information
We collect personal data in order to administer our email lists, for the organisation of our events and for the collection of our subscriptions. Our email lists and attendance at events may include people that are not in Departments of Mathematical Sciences that have subscribed to HoDoMS.
We take our obligations for data handling very seriously and it is therefore important for you to know that the lawful basis for us processing your information is either that you have given your consent for us to use your data or for the purposes of the legitimate interests of HoDoMS. These purposes will never override your personal interests, fundamental rights and freedoms which require protection of your personal data.
What we do with your information
HoDoMS processes personal data and special category data in accordance with data protection legislation. We use your data to maintain email lists and to organise our events.
How long we keep your information
We keep your email address on our lists either until you ask for it to be removed or until we decide that it is appropriate to remove it. The special category data that we collect for the organisation of our events will be deleted within 12 months of the end of the event. We will request that the organisations providing facilities or administrative support for our activities delete your personal data after the activity is completed. The timeline for deletion will be in line with their data retention policy. Details of attendance at our events will be retained in our archive. Financial information, including but not limited to bank statements, PayPal statements, bills, purchase orders, invoices, remittance advices and requests for reimbursements, are retained for 12 years. Bank details will be deleted after any payments have been made; copies of cheques will be deleted after the cheque has been cleared.
Who we share your information with
We share your personal data with organisations that:
As mentioned in the previous section, these organisations will be requested to delete that data once they have completed the task we have asked them to undertake. Other than that, our policy is not to disclose any personal information that we hold on you to any unrelated third party, except where you have given your express consent for us to do so or where required by law.
- provide accommodation and facilities for our events;
- assist with our event administration and online event delivery;
- assist with our subscription collection.
Your rights in relation to the way that we process your data
You have the right to ask us to confirm that your personal data is being processed and to access (i.e. have a copy) of that data as well as to be provided with supplemental information about the processing.
Where the data we hold on you is inaccurate, you may request that we rectify these inaccuracies. You have the right to have your data erased by us.
How to contact us
If you have any questions or concerns about the information that we hold about you or the way that we process your data, please contact:
Professor Mary McAlinden
Erasmus Darwin Building
School of Science and Technology
Nottingham Trent University
Latest revision: 22 October 2021